Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Thoughts: The Greatest Brain Booster of All

So did you watch "The Secret" or buy the book? Did you think lots of thoughts about being rich just like they told you? Did you get rich?

Scads of people followed the directions or thought they were following the directions. Some few got rich. Lots didn't--for all kinds of reasons including emotions.

Although this post isn't about how to get rich (sorry), the bottom line is, just as "The Secret" told us, thoughts do control us.

Even something as simple as me getting up from my computer and going down to the kitchen for another cup of coffee. I don't walk across my home office without thinking about it first--even though I'm certainly not aware that I've planned every move.

It's my brain that says "Hey, how about coffee now." It's my brain that controls my movement from comuter to coffee pot.

This is important stuff for parents, teachers, and kids to know. We all live out our expectations (i.e. thoughts) of ourselves and the expectations that our parents and teachers have of us. Some kids overcome the poor expectations held of them by teachers and parents. Many don't.

So let's look at some mind-control gadgets.

In 2006, scientists at Brown University investigated the "Brain Gate," a sensor implant which allows quadripalegics to direct thoughts to control a computer cursor or robot limb. Superman, Christopher Reeve, used a similar device after he was paralyzed.

The latest is a contraption coming out later this year from a company called Emotive. Kids put a helmet-like thing on their heads to control video games with their thoughts.

Yikes. Now kids don't have to move at all while playing games. Emotive, the company making the $299 headset, will release it later this year. I wouldn't buy this for my grandkids if it were just $29!

Take a look at some videos showing how these devices work.

In the meantime, remind kids that saying over and over again, especially with great passion while moving around, "I know I'm going to flunk this algebra test, I know I'm going to flunk this algebra test" is an excellent predictor of flunking this algebra test!

Often thinking something and verbalizing it is a better predictor than hours and hours of studying--not that studying isn't essential. (I'll give you some proof on this after I get done posting about video games.)

Thoughts accompanied by movement plus strong emotion often equal results. It's why a movement-based learning program like Brain Gym is so effective.

So tomorrow we'll look at Wii Fit. It's the opposite from the thing from Emotive. A video game that requires moving! Gets A+ from me.

MaryJo

P.S. We're down to the wire now but you've still got time to register for Brain Gym Basics TeleChat

No comments: